Friday, September 08, 2006

Golf and Baking

I just went to the supermarket opposite the office and bought some scales. The imminence of golf season means the imminence of tea and cake afterwards. Last year, I seemed to spend a small fortune on cakes and therefore this year, I intend to make them myself. So far, all items make in kitchen chez Jones have been made sans scales (I’m not much of a one for being exact). However, I have been instructed by my friend who is thinking about becoming a nun (another story altogether) that cakes cannot be made without scales, because there is an exactness requirement (for this reason, I can see myself and cake-making not getting on…). So THIS TIME, the cakes have won. Now, due to my general aversion to all weighing instruments, I decided to go for the cheapest (£2.99 – bargain, eh?). However cheapest also meant smallest – weighs up to 500g (16oz for those old fashionists amongst us) and they are called “Diet Scales”. I don’t really understand – why is that? Is it because they are so small that surely no-one could make use for them other than those eating restricted amounts?

Those on diets only need small scales, because they are only making mini-cakes – half the size=half the fat? But what’s nifty about these scales, is that they come in a mini storage container. The bit that you put stuff in when you weigh it has a lid that the scales fit into. I’m a sucker for things fitting neatly into other things. That’s what swayed it for me really. What made these mini, diet scales so irresistible.

Incidentally, talking of irresistible, I bought a single dessert of what is called “chocky rocky road” while I was there. It was gross. Avoid.

No comments: