Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Frogs and Golf

I have, once again, been shamed into shaving my legs in preparation for the ball class. At various points we have to hoik up the legs of our tracksuit bottoms in order to “get more grip” – for exercises such as the ribbety frog – where you lie on your back and grab the ball with your bare calves (at ten to two, please, girls) and have to lift it off the ground several times. I’m not convinced I’m doing this right in all honesty – because I’m not feeling it anywhere other than in the plastic burns it creates on my freshly shaven calves.

Am slightly apprehensive about this evening’s class – as I am aching already. I was a lady of leisure on Sunday – I met a friend for brunch and then went to play golf at the driving range.

An Aside
I should clear this up. I have mentioned several times that golf season is approaching and am increasingly aware that I should really clarify this. When I say “play golf” what I really mean is that we go to the driving range and borrow some golf sticks – although the nun has now pilfered some from her dad – so at the moment, I’d say we’re looking pretty pro – rolling up with our own sticks. Anyway, we go to the driving range get our ball baskets, take our places (as far away from any other living being as is possible) and aim to get the ball to 150 yards. Sounds pretty far, eh? Well, it is and we never get there. Last season we were averaging 75 yards – so this season I reckon we’ll be aiming to up it to 100 yard averages. However even that sounds deceptively good. We are mainly trying to whack the ball really hard, and finding ourselves spinning on the spot – often having missed the ball, sometimes watching it dribble off the edge, rarely watching it soar away to 75 yards. Mind you having said that, the nun hit a blinder on Sunday – I’d say it must have gone about 120 yards. Hats off. So the “season” is just winter – when weekends are less busy and booked up – when activity season begins.

So after my leisurely Sunday, I found my neck aching from golf, which I tried to cancel out by going to the gym last night and although I’ve had vague success, I suspect it will actually make tonight at the ball class all the more difficult – hence the apprehension. Will report back.

p.s. – I may have made up the name “ribbety frog”.

No comments: