Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Take That, Take That and Party...

Went to see Take That last night. Now, before we go on, just let me clarify. I was never a Take That fan first time around. I am not a Take That fan second time around. But when someone gets sought after tickets for a band that defined our (my?) generation, you can't really say no, can you? That would just be foolish.

And I'll tell you now, it was pretty impressive. I've never been to such a poppy, mainstream, screaming girls gig before - but was pleased to see that most of the people there were pretty normal and well beyond screaming age. Yes - a lot of ladies in their 30s who were up there with the crying hoardes when Take That split up ten years ago.

They were great showmen, could still dance - despite their progressing years and had some really impressive stagey things. Like a massive glitter ball - which really I think I need (though it's potentially too large for my living room).

The biggest problem (other than trying to get over the fact that I was seeing a teeny pop band) was our seating arrangement. It was at the o2 arena - which used to be the Dome. The arena area is m-a-s-s-i-v-e. The ground space is not inordinately large - however it goes up very high. And yes, you guessed it - we were at the top - the penthouse. Although not quite the penthouse of views. Sophie Ellis Bexter who was the support act is pretty tiny anyway - but from our viewpoint, she almost vanished into thin air. Mark Owen is pretty short in real life - but in o2 penthouse life, he is approximately 1cm.

I kid you not - we were about seven miles up - and my sister and I decided we'd take the stairs rather than the excalators. Still - it's not going to do my fat arse any harm to climb all those stairs, is it.

No comments: