Thursday, October 04, 2012

Bathroom Tiles and Scuppered Plans

It has been a frustrating few days in home renovation terms - largely because (it feels like) no home renovation has happened.

We had hoped that in this week off, we'd have the kitchen pretty much down.  Unfortunately, we have still not touched the kitchen.  We have no sink, no tiles have touched the walls, the hob is still not connected, no decision has been made about paint colour (though I think we're getting closer), we have not been able to leave the house to go to get the second half of the kitchen from Ikea and there is a bit of reconstruction work that needs doing on the windowsill (all the rooms have wide windowsills with the original red tiles - all painted over, or course - except the kitchen - in which the windowsill has been destroyed).

Hopefully the plumbers will be done by about 4ish (he has brought a friend with him today to get the job finished quicker), so after that, Husband Features and I are planning to get ourselves into double time, get ourselves down to Ikea to get the second half of the kitchen (although we've not quite worked out exactly what that's going to be yet, as the kitchen planner is temporarily not working).

Realistically, by the time we go back to work, I think it's unlikely we will have got much further than we are now.  Disappointing.

What we have discovered though (after I had a bit of a conniption about not getting anything done in the flat) is exactly what lurks underneath the delightful brown carpet in the loo and bathroom.

I think I mentioned before that I suspected that the skirting tiles in the loo room are the same red quarry tiles as in the kitchen.  A conversation I had with June - one of the other residents on the block though had made me hope that there might be black and white tiles under the brown carpet.  

Lifting the lovely brown carpet in the loo room revealed that the not only the skirting tiles, but also the floor tiles in there are the same red quarry tiles as in the kitchen.

Pulling back the brown carpet in the bathroom, however, revealed blue and cream vinyl/lino tiles, which are in a pretty grim state.  However... the hairdryer once again comes into its own, as a quick bit of tile heating and pulling back revealed some (very sticky) black and white tiles. Lovely.



I love the black and white tiles and I'd like to keep as much of the original features as possible - however I think black and white flooring might just scupper the plans I had been making for the bathroom...

No comments: