Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Lunch From the Kitchen of the Devil

I have become quite obsessed with the soup from the canteen. How healthy of me eh? Well that's because, in truth, it is really the croutons and strange fried corn that you shove on top that I'm really obsessed with. The soup would be nothing without it, and that's a fact. Particularly yesterday, when the soup was leek and potato - or supposed to be. However upon the meeting of spoon and mouth, what I actually got was pure, unadulterated celery. Ugh. Filthy business. And only narrowly saved by the presence of copious amounts of crispy croutons.

I'm going to have to say that the case is much the same with today's oriental sweetcorn and noodle soup. I should have noticed when I was scooping it happily into my paper soup-cup that those arch-shaped bits were not cabbage, but once again, the devil's food. Today's experience is made particularly bad though, not just by the fact that my bread tastes of vinegar, that the pieces of lemongrass in the soup are so large that I'm having trouble fitting them in my mouth (not that much though - you know me), not just because the soup is essentially yesterday's lunch mixed up in a large vat of water with a couple of oxo stock cubes added, but largely because it is totally unfriendly to the addition of bread sopping.

Bread, simply does not go with this soup (in particular this peculiarly vinegary bit I have found myself with). So now that I am finished the noodly bit, I have found myself drinking down oxo-water whilst chomping on vinegar bread. I think my canteen-soup love affair may be over.

No comments: