Saturday, August 01, 2009

New Toys

I knew there was something that I kept meaning to tell you about last week. It was that our wedding gifts were arriving today. They were very specific about arrival time, giving us a mere seven hour window to sit in at home in eager anticipation. Neither one wanting to leave the house to buy the milk we needed to enjoy copious cups of tea during the wait. "I'm not going - the presents will arrive and I'll miss all the excitement".

So we sat in the house all day, air slowly getting more and more stale, eyeing each other up with suspicione and daring "You get the milk" - "No, you get the milk". In the end, The Old Man gave them a call at about 4pm (the 7 hour window was from 10am - 5pm) to check when they'd be here. Half an hour after the seven hour window they said. The presents were to arrive at 5.30pm, so I consented to go to the shops.

And yes, I'm sure you guessed... tenminutes into my shopping journey - which started at 6.30pm - who should I get a call from - The Old Man. "They're here, quick, run back". So the milk was abandoned in the meat aisle and I trotted out of the shop to find it raining quite hard - and me in flip flops. Sponge flip flops. The type that get really slippy in the rain and prevent running or fast walking of any sort. Grr.

And when I got home, I'd apparently missed the arrival by only about five minutes. Hmph. I don't know why the arrival of the presents was so important, but it was. But imagine it - the excitement of four large boxes, one flat parce, a slightly smaller box and two very small boxes waiting for me there when I got in.

Ohhh, it's like Christmas in August. Very exciting. I'd tell you more, but I'm too excited playing with my new toys to stay away too long...

No comments: