Thursday, August 06, 2009

Cookies, Ladels, Radios and Disco Kettles

Well, it's been almost a week since the presents arrived and frankly I still feel excited every time I come home knowing that they're there. Yes, I am that sad.

We took them all out of their boxes on the day they arrived and marvelled at them, however most of them have had to go back into their packaging and back into the boxes until we have our own place and can then have another fabulously exciting day of opening presents. Of course, we won't have our own place for the next hundred years - so arguably we should just bite the bullet and unpack them, but we'll be moving in November. So maybe after that.

Anyway - there are some pretty exciting additions to the family from the presents we have kept out. Which I think is a total of four presents.

One is a soup ladel. Yes, I am excited at having a soup ladel - we didn't have any sort of ladel item before, so I'm getting great pleasure from ladelling food onto plates without having to keep returning to the pan 50 times with my small wooden spoon.

Though the ladel is of course not as exciting as the The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook which of course required me to send The Old Man to the shop immediately in order to get supplies so that I could make the peanut butter cookies the minute I opened the book. They were deee-vine. I shall definitely be making those again in a hurry.

Another is, of course, the digital radio, which produced much excitement and pushing out of the way of my iPod docking station.

TWENY stations we have programmed in there (large chunks of them are rubbish that The Old Man is only allowed to listen to when I am not at home - really - they are that bad). Not only does it have all the stations we could ask for and that we weren't able to get on our previous, old fashioned radip, but it looks goooorgeous. It's frankly the second best electrical item in our kitchen.

The best - larely marked as such by The Old Man, is the new kettle. It has some sort of colour-changing LED in it - which means the kettle is constanly lit up in a variety of exciting colours. And it has a filter. You pour in your scummy tap water and out comes pure, clear delightful water. AND, it has a keep warm switch - you flick that, and you can have tea on tap. I'm not sure we'll use that bit - it doesn't seem very environmentally sound. Neither do the constant disco lights - The Old Man assures me that because it's an LED it's not having any sort of horrific impact - but I'm still suspicious.

Anyway, for me, all the kettle has proved is that I am a bit common. The Old Man is delighted by every delicate cup of tea he sips from the pure filtered water of the kettle. "Isn't is simply delightful, dahling?" But I'm not so sure. I think the limescale adds a little flavour. I think I actually prefer the taste of the non filtered cuppa. How terribly common my tastes are.

No comments: