Sunday, August 09, 2009

You Can't Buy Your Friends

On Friday, I won tickets to see Sin Nombre at the cinema in Islington this morning. I was very excited. I never win anything. So I called up the old man to share the excitement, when he reminded me that he was playing cricket. As he does every Sunday, actually - I was just too excited to remember that.

No problem. I have free cinema tickets, it shouldn't be too hard convincing someone to come with me, should it? How wrong. My Little Sister said it didn't look like her thing. Another friend was only getting back from holiday the day before and figured she might be tired. Another friend had his parents to stay. Another friend's number seems to have stopped working in the last 24 hours. Another friend had decided to go away for the weekend.

Six people and no luck. How can this be? So I thought I might go by myself - I've been to the cinema myself before. But my proof of free ticket-ness was a copy of an email congratulating me on winning a ticket for me and a friend. I could picture the scene. I arrive at the cinema, email in hand "Congratulations, here's your free ticket. Where's your friend?" I could have just pretended my friend was going to be late - however the other reason I didn't want to go alone was because I'm a little bit pathetic. I scare easily. And it's a bit of an edge-of-your-seat type film.

So that's it. I win one thing in my life, ever and I can't take advantage of it because I'm too unpopular.

(Actually, that's not true - because I also won another thing this month - 20 free margaritas in posh bars. However you wouldn't believe how many people* don't like tequila. Perhaps there's another message I should be getting here... I felt so lucky this week having won two things, and we all know how things happen in threes, that I played the lottery. Not even a tenner).

*one person said they didn't like tequila, but did actually still want to come for a free margarita - but I couldn't put that in the story - it would ruin the melodramatic self pity of it all.

No comments: