Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Should Have Gone For The Cut

I have had a hair disaster.

I decided that I am bored of my hair - it's really long and I always get a bit fed up of it when it's really long. So I decided either a cut or a colour was in order. As I'm entirely broke at the moment, the decision was made for me - as we all know cheap = good. So colour it was. At home.

But for some of us, simply colouring our hair is not enough. Some of us decide that we are a budding hair dresser and that it's necessary to try out a home highlighting kit. Yes. I suspect you can see where this is going.

Shove it on various bits of hair and leave for 20 minutes. Simple enough, eh? Except that by the time I'd got to the end of the stuff, it had potentially already been on some parts of my hair for at least 20 minutes and was in fact looking suspiciously light already. But the instructions said leave it on for 20 minutes once it was on, so I did. Foolosh. Very foolish.

I should have followed my initial instincts to wash it off the front bits before I got to the end of the tub. But no. Of course I didn't. And when I got out of the shower to have a look at how my beautiful highlights turned out, I was met with the horror of some sort of hair patchwork.

And it didn't get better as it got drier. In fact, it got decidedly worse. My head looks like I have gone for some sort of tiger effect. I don't just have stripes though, I have blobs too, here and there. And they're not the delightful colour on the cover of the pack. Oh no - they're orange. Proper orange. Like a clementine. Or a mandarin. Or like someone has taken an orange highlighter to stripes and blobs of my head. It's nothing short of a disaster. And of course it won't wash out and I can't dye it again for two weeks.

So I am going to have to wander about with my tiger head for the next two weeks until I can dye it. Luckily if I put my hair up it disguises most of it. However this is not a permanent solution - I can't just wander around with my hair up every day for the next year until it grows out. Can I?

No comments: