Tuesday, October 02, 2007

It's All Gone Wrong in the Kitchen Again

It is Little Ms Jones' Birthday tomorrow - so I am making her a cake. I decided I would experiment and try making the beetroot chocolate fudge cake from Cook Yourself Thin.

I knew I was going to have problems when I discovered a snoozing bug in the plain flour, that I didn't have quite enough ground almond left and that I don't own a deep cake tin - and in particular, no loose bottomed cake tins.

But as usual, I wasn't going to let a few missing, key ingredients and implements get in my way. Instead I suplemented the missing plain flour for more self raising, the missing ground almond for desicated coconut and the deep, loose-bottomed cake tin for two shallower tight-bottomed tins (hmmm - not sure that's the official name for them...).

So an hour later, the kitchen has largely turned pink (due to wayward beetroot) and the cake mix is looking, erm... runny. But by then, it was too late. The tins were greased, the oven was hot and frankly, the point of no return had been reached and passed.

It wasn't until an hour into the baking (it takes two hours, yes, that's two hours to cook) and I started smelling burning that I realised that as my cake was in two shallower tins, it would take less time. Bugger.

So, out come the cakes, looking a little worse for wear - little black around the edges and smelling suspiciously of beetroot (not sure what I expected - I guess I had hoped it would come out smelling of chocolate cake and the beetroot would have mysteriously melted or something, but no). So I put them on the side to cool a little bit, then try turning the cake tins over to get them out...

I think you can guess what happens here. The cakes do not come out. They are still sitting in the tins, refusing to budge. Damn those tight-bottomed tins. And damn my kitchen experiments. Hmph.

No comments: