Thursday, May 08, 2008

Revenge of the Machine

Almost had a nasty run in with the chocolate machine today. It got to about 5.05pm and I started feeling a bit peckish, so I went down to the chocolate machine. After some serious perusing (deciding what snackette to have in the afternoon is not a decision one should take lightly), I decided on a chocolate coated flapjack (ideally I would have prefered a non-chocolate coated flapjack - but listen, beggars can't be choosers).

So I put in my pound, typed 62 into the keypad and watched as the flapjack holder turned around to free my goodies. Turning, turning, turning... aaand stopping. Without releasing my chocolate flapjack. Preparing to hold in my rage (most people don't seem to find it acceptable to fly into a rage over not being able to access their sweet snacks) I start to look around to check if anyone will see if I give the machine a good kick.

There is what is clearly an IT guy hanging about in the corridor, so I contemplate how long I can get away with crouching in front of the machine, pretending that I'm fetching my goodies before he starts to get suspicious. Is three minutes too many I start to wonder, when suddently, with a clunk, the machine kicks back into action and down falls my flapjack.

It was fooling me all along - toying with my need for sugary badness as I start the long stint, stuck in the office between 5.05 and 7.30pm. This is it - the start of the intelligent machine - next, the kettle will be refusing to boil until I leave the room, the water cooler will start spiting at me while I'm washing my mug, my iPod will start playing music by Girls Aloud and Britney Spears. I can see it all spiralling out of control. There is nothing else for it. I am going to have to see about unplugging that chocolate maching. Permanently.

No comments: